For years, I believed meditation was a
mountain I couldn't climb. As a yoga practitioner, I thought it required a
perfectly blank mind, a total silence that
I just couldn't reach. I used to tell myself, "I can’t meditate because my mind never
stops."
To be honest, I felt like a failure at
it for a long time.
But eventually, I discovered a simple
truth: meditation isn’t about stopping your
thoughts. It’s about becoming
aware of them. It’s learning to watch the internal
weather of your mind without getting caught in the storm.
Most of us spend our lives rushing. Our
bodies are here, but our minds are elsewhere; reliving the past or worrying
about a future that hasn't happened yet. Meditation is the choice to finally
pause. It’s not an escape from
life; it’s a way to experience
it more deeply.
If you are new to this, know that you
don't need special skills or a different personality. You just need a few
minutes and the willingness to observe.
Finding Your Center
Find a place where you can sit
comfortably: a chair, a cushion, or even the edge of
your bed. Forget about "perfect" posture. Just aim to be relaxed yet
alert. Keep your spine tall, let your shoulders drop, and gently close your
eyes.
The Anchor of Breath
Start with a slow, deep breath through
your nose. Hold it for just a second or a two, then let it all out through your
mouth. Do this a few times. As you exhale, imagine your tension simply melting
into the floor. Don’t fight the tightness
in your body; just notice it and let it soften.
Setting Your Intention
Ask yourself softly: "Why am I
here today?" Whether you want calm, less stress, or you’re
just curious, there is no wrong answer. Hold that reason lightly in your heart.
Let your breath return to its natural
rhythm. Don't try to change it. Just watch it. Notice where it feels most alive; at
the tip of your nose, the rise of your chest, or the expansion of your belly.
Let your attention rest there.
Sooner or later, thoughts will arrive.
You’ll start planning dinner or remembering
an old conversation. This is normal. The mind thinks…that is its nature.
When you notice your mind has drifted,
don’t get frustrated. Don't judge yourself.
Just acknowledge the thought and gently guide your focus back to your breath.
Each time you return, you are winning. You are practicing mindfulness.
A Simple Anchor: Counting
If your mind feels extra busy, try
counting. Inhale, one. Exhale, two. Go up to ten, then start again at one. If
you lose track, no worries, just start back at
one.
Expanding Your Awareness
After a few minutes, widen your focus.
Notice the sounds in the room, the weight of your body, or the emotions you're
feeling. Let everything exist exactly as it is, without trying to fix anything.
The Journey Begins
When you open your eyes, don’t
rush away. You might not feel "enlightened" or perfectly peaceful
immediately, and that is okay. Meditation is a slow, beautiful process of
reconnecting with yourself.
You are learning to pause and breathe
with the one companion that has been with you since your very first day: your
breath.
In the next post, I’ll
share how to work with distractions when the mind gets loud. Until then,
whenever you remember today, take three conscious breaths. You might be
surprised at what you discover in those small moments of stillness.
Reflection for the Week As you sat
quietly today, what did you notice? Was your mind like a busy street, or did
you catch a brief moment of quiet?
I’d love to hear about
your experience in the comments. We are all students on this path, and sharing
our journey makes the walk much easier.
References
Britton,
W. B., Lindahl, J. R., Cahn, B. R., Davis, J. H., & Goldman, R. E. (2017).
Awakening is not a metaphor: The effects of Buddhist meditation practices on
basic psychological well-being. PLOS ONE, 12(1),
e0170647.
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0170647




0 Comments